Sunday 27 April 2014

Stolen (Stolen #1) by K.A. Krisko


This story was like a current rip that gently, but powerfully, takes hold of you while swimming in the ocean, pulling you away from the shore just gently enough to be unnoticeable until all sight of land has disappeared. But seriously, this story really got me in. It just seemed to amble along, drawing me in without me actually realising it. I like books that are actually full of action, but that don't have you holding onto the book (or device) with white knuckles.

Stolen takes you through lots of twists and turns. I'd love to describe it turn by turn, but I don't want to add spoilers to this review. Suffice to say, at each turn, a new aspect of sorcery or some form of enchantment is introduced, meaning that the next part of the book is never what you thought it would be.

I always like to write a review based on what I've read in the book and how it made me feel - what it stirred in me. I think it's better to do this than attempt to ask the author 'what did you mean by..." Early in the book I sensed that there was a post-apocalyptic' feel, and just maybe there's a bit of a warning message in it for us, albeit one veiled in allegory. This may be just something I picked up on and not the author's intention, but I then again, the 'Charter of Dispersal' from the old, abandoned city is pretty hard to read any other way. Apparently, these people realised that big cities don't work, and deliberately pulled out of them to save civilisation. But... there's an underlying tone, some hints, that makes the reader suspect that this may well be propaganda from the forefathers of this newer, smaller version of civilisation. I think this gives the book a real depth.

The best way to get more knowledge about this intriguing land and its fascinating people is to read the other books in the series. Have no doubt, I'll be reading those as well.

A great read.





Gary Williams

View this book at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment