Thursday 28 November 2013

Unprotected Sax - Tony McFadden

Read in March 2013 — I own a copy

I really enjoyed this book - the first I've read from this author. The characters are well-developed and the good guys rushing to beat the bad guys, with the assistance of the slightly more palatable bad guys, gave me plenty of inspiration to keep turning pages. The main character is complicated - a reluctant tough guy... that happens to play the sax well enough to return to that to make a living, after a military stint. There's also some chemistry at work between him and the singer in the band, and the story continually thrusts them together, then drags them apart again, which, along with the good cops trying to figure out who the dirty cop is, adds plenty of meat to the story.

This isn't one of those turn the page as fast as you can thrillers, like a Matthew Reilly or a Dan Brown - it's intriguing enough to keep you interested and turning pages, but I find, you can take a breath and relax and enjoy the journey a lot more. Having said that, I was definitely turning the last few pages faster... I hadn't noticed the pace slowly building to a climax until it really had me in its grip.

I like discovering an author that has already written so many books, because I can then go back and read the rest of their 'library'. I'll definitely be doing that with Tony McFadden, because I'm keen to see if he's perfected the formula this well in his other books. And from his bio, he intends to keep on writing, and writing, and writing... No complaints from me.

Gary Williams


View this book at Goodreads




No comments:

Post a Comment