Sunday 26 January 2014

I Call Myself Earth Girl - Jan Krause Greene

This is something quite unique. I've never read anything quite like this book... and it had me from the first chapter. I'm just not sure how it enticed me so soon and so thoroughly. I'll have to read it a second time, soon, to figure out how she did that! I actually found that, although I didn't really have much time to spend reading this book... I kept reading it to the detriment of other things I should be doing!

I wondered how I'd feel, reading a book where the main character is, supposedly, a human girl named Ella, whose eyes glow with golden light, but by the time the little girl had grown to where this began to happen, the author had given just enough 'scientific' and medical rationale to make me quite comfortable with the fact that her eyes glow with a golden light sometimes - mainly when she's upset. And she's legally blind, but sees with her mind... whether her eyes are open or closed. It sounds ridiculous the way I've written it here, but in this book, these concepts just progress in a seemingly natural way.

The quality of this book is second to none. When ever I read a book by an indie author, I normally collect a list of typos and even editing suggestions and then forward these to the author. With this book, I've hit an all time low - in the number of typos that is. This book must have really been put through the ringer and is a credit to the numerous beta readers, story editors, line editors and proof readers involved as well as the author herself, since I hardly found any errors; and the few I found were mostly simple punctuation omissions. Bear in mind that I normally manage to find one or two of these in the Dan Browns, Robert Ludlum and Stephen Kings of the world - so I tip my hat to the author. Superb quality.

This book deals very well with that situation where, on an intuitive level, we are sure something is true, but we allow others to convince us not to trust the feeling - or we rationalise it out of existence all on our own. This book has quite a balanced approach, with characters sitting squarely on both sides of the equation. I found myself wishing, though, that there were more 'Ellas' in the world we live in, to help us overcome this fear of following our intuition and, as Ella says herself, to remind us to "pay attention to the important things."

Excellent read. I'd recommend to all - seekers of all things spiritual and skeptics alike.



Gary Williams

View this book at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment