Sunday 19 January 2014

Behind Blue Eyes - D.M. Wolfenden

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought this book was going to be about vampires, but a big part of the story is really about a little girl prepared to overcome fear and help an injured vampire, Cain. This inspires protective instincts toward the child that Cain didn't think he could feel any more - maybe even echoing the life he had before he became a vampire, back when he had a wife and daughter.

I expected the thriller/horror parts of the book, but it's also a bit of a romance, with unexpected twists and turns tearing characters apart - just as they seem to be getting comfortable with one another. And the thriller aspect kept me guessing until almost the last line of text on the last page!

This is a fascinating story that spans the best part of one hundred years, since vampires don't have the limited life span of humans. I identified with Cain enough for it to give me a hint of what it must feel like to be alive for such a long time, without the ability to participate in a normal life. He spends much of his time watching others life their lives.

Something quite different to what I expected... and thoroughly enjoyable.



Gary Williams

View this book at Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment